Hiring Houghton Village Hall
Welcome to our Village Hall, a charity run by volunteers for use by the community. Please use the Hall responsibly and leave it in the clean and tidy state in which you would wish to find it.
We always appreciate feedback following your use of the Hall. Please let us know if you have noticed any damage or non-working equipment during your Hire – if we do not know that things have gone wrong, we cannot put them right!
Below is Summary guidance for Hirers but we would advise all Hirers to read the Full Conditions of Hire (further down this document).
If you have any questions or would like to view the Hall prior to hiring it, please contact the Bookings Secretary, Maureen Stephens by phone on 01794 389696 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
We hope you enjoy using the Hall and its facilities
Summary guidance for Hirers
At the start of your Hire session
- When you make your booking, you will be advised on how to unlock the Hall and what to do to secure the building at the end of your Hire session.
- Instructions for operating the central heating and kitchen equipment are posted in the Kitchen
- Fire Procedures are displayed in the Main Hall, the Kitchen and the Ladies and Gents cloakrooms.
During your Hire session
- ensure that the entrance and emergency escape doors are unobstructed at all times
- brown collapsible tables (stored on a wheeled trolley) and grey upholstered chairs are stored in the Committee Room; there is a trolley for moving chairs.
- kitchen equipment includes crockery, cutlery, a kettle and 2 urns for heating water.
- if you wish to sell alcohol at your event, you are responsible for obtaining a Licence from the local authority before the start of the Hire session and you must provide a copy of the Licence to the Bookings Secretary
- please do not fix anything to the internal walls that will leave a mark (eg staples, blu-tack).
At the end of your Hire session
- allow sufficient time to leave all areas clean and tidy at the end of your Hire session
- stack chairs and fold tables and return to the Committee Room
- close all windows and doors, switch off lights and make sure everyone has left the building
- remove any posters, flyers, party decorations attached inside or outside the Hall
- ensure you lock and secure the building, as requested by the Bookings Secretary
Booking and Payment
- Bookings will be confirmed to the Hirer by e-mail
- Should the Hirer have no e-mail address, alternative arrangements must be made with the Bookings Secretary
- An invoice will be emailed to the Hirer shortly after the booking is confirmed
- Immediate payment is due on receipt of invoice; this will secure the booking
- Online (BACS) payments are preferred and should be made to Sort Code 30-90-21
- Account Number 00182577
- Payment by cheque (payable to Houghton Village Hall) should be sent to the address on the invoice.
- Exceptionally, cash payment is accepted
- Bookings for parties will required a £100 deposit (cash or cheque) returnable within 48 hours of the hire date subject to Hall/equipment being left without damage.
Cancellation made less than 28 days before the start of the Hire session will be charged at 50% of the rate.
- Cancellation made less than 7 days before the start of the Hire session will be charged the full rate, unless another Hirer books the same session.
The Hall is generally booked for a Session or multiple Sessions
- Booked time must allow for setting up and clearing away after use and covers the time the Hirer stars and finishes using the Hall.
- Should a Hirer wish to make a booking for less than a Session, they should contact the Bookings Secretary, Maureen Stephens email@example.com or 01794 389696 to discuss their request.
- The maximum number of people allowed in the building at any one time is 100, with a maximum of 100 standing/dancing or 80 seated at tables.
|Session||Session||Cost per session/hour or part session/hour|
|Morning||8 am – 1 pm||£30|
|Afternoon||1 pm – 6 pm||£30|
|Evening||6 pm – 11 pm||£30|
|Full Day – single booking||8 am – 11 pm||£75|
|Hourly||Up to 11 pm||£7.50|
|Hourly||After 11 pm||£10|
- The entrance area and emergency escape routes must be kept unobstructed at all times.
- All Hirers must confirm that they know the emergency escape routes and must explain the fire escape procedures to all those using the Hall during the Hire session.
- Any accident occurring during the Hire session must be recorded in the Village Hall Accident Book kept in the cupboard next to the cooker.
- The Hirer, or a nominated representative, must be present during the Hire session.
- Smoking is not permitted in any part of the Hall at any time.
- No additional electrical lights or extensions from existing electric light fittings are permitted without prior agreement with the Bookings Secretary
- The Hall accepts no responsibility for any property belonging to the Hirer during the Hire session or, if left in the Hall, after the Hire session.
- In the event of a fire, use the nearest Fire Extinguisher – these are both situated in the Main Hall. There is a Fire Blanket in the kitchen above the cooker.
- The Hirer shall ensure that chairs, tables and other equipment are arranged so as to allow free and easy access to all Fire Exits
- There are Fire Exit doors from the main hall (by the entrance and to the left of the stage) and through the back door of the kitchen and out through the ‘cage’ door onto the playing field.
- The Assembly Point is on the playing field, behind the Village Hall
- If a Fire Extinguisher is used, evacuate the building immediately, using the Fire Exists.
- The Hirer/Responsible Adult shall ensure that all areas of the Hall, including the Loos, have been evacuated and all doors shut.
- The Hirer/Responsible Adult shall be responsible for calling the Fire Brigade
- If the Hall has to be evacuated, no-one must re-enter the building until the Fire Brigade says is safe to do so.
- Any posters or flyers or decorations used inside or outside the Hall to publicise your event must be removed at the end of the Hire session.
- Within the Hall, nothing must be fixed to walls that will leave a mark when removed.
- Advertising includes posters, tickets, flyers, newspaper/magazine or radio ads, social media sites
- Advertising contravening the conditions of hire may result in cancellation of hire without return of booking fee.
Full Conditions of Hire
- There must be a Responsible Adult (aged 18 or over) in charge on the premises at all times of Hire. This must be the Hirer or a person specifically nominated by the Hirer who then has prime responsibility for ensuring that the Hall is used sensibly and responsibly and that fire, health and safety rules are followed during the whole session of Hire.
- Hire of the Hall includes the Main Hall, Kitchen, Committee Room, Stage, Ladies & Gents Loos, ‘caged’ area outside the Kitchen and the external tarmac area (for car parking).
- No animal, other than Guide Dogs, shall be permitted within the premises, unless with specific prior approval by a representative of Houghton Village Hall Management Committee (HVHMC).
- The Hall is licenced for Public Entertainments, Music and Dancing, a copy of which is displayed on the noticeboard in the Village Hall kitchen. Music must cease at midnight.
- The Hall is not licenced for the sale of alcohol so if the Hirer wishes to sell alcohol, he/she is responsible for obtaining a Temporary Events Notice (TEN) which grants a licence from the local authority before the start of the Hire session; a copy of the Licence must be provided to the Bookings Secretary prior to the start of the Hire session.
- The Hall is not licenced for theatrical, ballet, opera or choral works so if the Hirer wishes to use the Hall for such activity, her/she is responsible for obtaining the relevant License before the start of the Hire session and a copy of the Licence must be provided to the Bookings Secretary prior to the start of the Hire session
- All areas of the Hall, including the Ladies and Gents and the car parking area must be left clean and tidy and free of rubbish at the end of the Hire session.
- Rubbish, including empty bottles, cans, paper, food debris and any other rubbish generated by the Hirer inside or outside the Hall must be suitably disposed of at the end of the Hire session in the relevant waste bins (recyclable or general waste) located in the ‘caged’ area outside the kitchen.
- All windows and internal doors must be left closed and the external kitchen and committee room doors locked on departure. The main entrance must be left locked/secured, as requested by the Bookings Secretary.
- All breakages must be reported and paid for within 7 calendar days. Breakages of equipment are charged at 10 times the cost of the hire per item, with the exception of glasses, which are charged at £1 per broken glass.
- The Hirer is responsible for the full cost of making good any damage to the building, furniture, fixtures or fittings.
- Any urgent damage or non-working systems or complaints should be reported to Rosie Cardoe, Chairman of Village Hall Management Committee (VHMC) 01794 388771 . Non-urgent maintenance issues should be reported to the Bookings Secretary – firstname.lastname@example.org – 01794 389696 – within 24 hours of the end of the Hire session.
- Users of the Hall are responsible for their own public liability insurance for activities they are undertaking.
- Should there be building/repair work being carried out in the Hall, notice of such work will be given, where possible, to the Hirer before the start of the Hire session.
- The Hall must only be used for lawful purposes; it must not be sublet by the Hirer.
- The Hirer must satisfy him/herself that the building is suitable for their particular purpose.
- All Users and Hirers shall use the Hall appropriately and treat other Users and Hirers with courtesy and respect.
- The VHMC (or representative) reserves the right to stop any entertainment or meeting not properly or reasonably conducted. This includes ensuring that the occupants of properties neighbouring the Hall are not inconvenienced by noise, obstruction by vehicles, etc., during the Hire or when departing at the end of the Hire session.
- By special arrangement, regular or frequent Users of the Hall may use specified storage cupboards free of charge, provided this is agreed in advance and confirmed in writing/e-mail by the Bookings Secretary.
Failure to adhere to the General Conditions of Hire
In the event of failure to adhere to any Condition of Hire, the Houghton Village Hall Management Committee reserves the right to cancel and/or refuse future bookings.
Village Hall Management Committee – VHMC – as at May 2017
|Vacancy – temporarily covered by Ingrid Burt||Treasurer|
|Maureen Stephens||Bookings Secretary|
|Kate Lewis||Committee Member|
|John Hurley||Committee Member|
|Sarah Shorthouse||Committee Member|
|Clare Stephens||Committee Member|
|Ingrid Burt||Parish Council rep. on the VH Committee|
Nick Harding continues to managed the Village Hall Draw, from whom tickets can be obtained – email@example.com.